My unscientific, off the cuff, sociological impression is that once we
moved forward with
the "multi-branch" development plan and created the 3x branch, a lot of
people who use to be the big proponents of regular releases got really
about the freedom involved in working on the trunk, and lost their
motivation to push for releases - because a big part of that motivation
came from the backcompat concerns and the need to churn out releasees
with deprecations so that future versions could move forward ith more
interesting APIs.  "trunk" turned into the new hot sexiness.

but like i said: that's just my unscientific impression.

: I think now that we have a "trunk" for unstable development, and a
: "3x" stable branch, that we should think about cutting releases from
: this branch much more often, for example every month or two.

I think that might be overly ambitious, particularly because we've never
really talked about how the release process for the 3x branch *should*
work (given the lucene/solr development merged) let alone start on those
changes to make it easy (that process doc that scares the crap out of you
is just for Lucene-Java, there's an equally scaray one for Solr)

I think it's going to take some work just on build/process before we can
get our first "merged" release from 3x.  Assuming we improve some
automation while we're at it, then i think it's feasible that we could
start doing releases off of it every couple of months.  it would remain
to be seen wether we sould *need* to release that often -- it will
depend on wether anything new gets committed there -- but it would
certianly be nice to be able to.

: Finally, as far as getting someone to do the work, I can certainly
: volunteer to help in the following ways:
: * being RM if you are ok with a non-maven release (until LUCENE-2268
: is fixed, i am uncomfortable with maven)

maven is such a contentious issue -- people either don't give a shit
about it, or think it's the end of the world if the jars aren't there.

In the past i've argued that enough users care about maven we should
really try to make sure we play nicely, but the more i think about it the
less i think it should be part of the release process.

the ASF releases source code.  When we vote on a release, tha's what we
are voting on: source.  We may also distribute precompiled binary jars
via the download mirrors, or via maven, but that's not what the release is
about -- so let's get hte pom template files out of hte src tree, let's
get the maven related tasks out of the build.xml file and treat publishing
to maven as a seperate process that happens *after* the release.  We vote
on the release, we release it, and then the folks that care about maven
can publish the jars after the fact.

-Hoss

--
http://lucenerevolution.org/  ...  October 7-8, Boston