On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Michael McCandless
<luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Is the benchmark just trying to measure speedups by using DirectPF vs
> the default PF?  You could do this today w/ luceneutil (using
> Wikipedia as content).
>
> But if you have another content source / index, I'm happy to run the
> benchmark.  It'd be easier to make the content available (CSV, or line
> docs file format), then ship around big indices ...
>
> I have a box with 48 GB RAM.
>
> Mike McCandless

My takeaway from the prior conversation was that various people didn't
entirely believe that I'd seen a dramatic improvement in query perfo
using D-P-F, and so would not smile upon a patch intended to liberate
D-P-F from codecs. It could be that the effect I saw has to do with
the fact that our system depends on hitting and scoring 50% of the
documents in an index with a lot of documents.

If you can help me try to simulate this situation with luceneutil, I'd
be happy to skip the work I was about to do to build another
benchmark.