On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> My takeaway from the prior conversation was that various people didn't
>> entirely believe that I'd seen a dramatic improvement in query perfo
>> using D-P-F, and so would not smile upon a patch intended to liberate
>> D-P-F from codecs. It could be that the effect I saw has to do with
>> the fact that our system depends on hitting and scoring 50% of the
>> documents in an index with a lot of documents.
>>

> I dont understand the word "liberate" here. why is it such a problem
> that this is a codec?

 I don't want to have to declare my intentions at the time I create
the index. I don't want to have to use D-P-F for all readers all the
time. Because I want to be able to decide to open up an index with an
arbitrary on-disk format and get the in-memory cache behavior of
D-P-F. Thus 'liberate' -- split the question of 'keep a copy in
memory' from the choice of the on-disk format.

> i do not think we should give it any more status than that, it wastes
> too much ram.

It didn't seem like 'waste' when it solved a big practical for us. We
had an application that was too slow, and had plenty of RAM available,
and we were able to trade space for time by applying D-P-F.

Maybe I'm going about this backwards; if I can come up with a small,
inconspicuous proposed change that does what I want, there won't be
any disagreement.