Hi Robert

Thanks very much for your feedback. I guess you mean the following change:

git diff
1f69438a17a0ad33bb9c209113b0fe83fb68f860..5bb9e0aebe18a67e5e0e4698e0553d6824327495
lucene/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java

-        assert lastCommitChangeCount <= changeCount:
"lastCommitChangeCount=" + lastCommitChangeCount + " changeCount=" +
changeCount;
+        if (lastCommitChangeCount > changeCount) {
+          throw new IllegalStateException("lastCommitChangeCount=" +
lastCommitChangeCount + ",changeCount=" + changeCount);
+        }

right?

I really did not mean to point fingers, but I just try to think of a
"testing environment" which assists developers as good and as efficient
as possible to find things which might have been forgotten or maybe
break something.
I think the above is a good example how difficult it can be to do this,
but still I think it is possible and would help us all.

Hence I would like to ask again, what is the general rule for updating
CHANGES.txt

About missing tests, I guess you experienced a buggy G1GC collector or
other JVM bugs and hence you
made this change, right? If so, I guess you will run the new code with
the existing buggy G1GC collector
and if an IllegalStateException is being thrown, then you will know that
something is wrong, right?
Or if I misunderstand, can you explain a bit more?

Thanks

Michael