Michael,
I recall you’re working on building a test tool that sees changes and runs
applicable tests?  If that’s the case, why would it matter if CHANGES.txt
gets updated?  The vast majority of the time there is a reference to a JIRA
issue from the commit message, and most JIRA issues that have code
committed to them will wind up in CHANGES.txt.  There may be exceptions but
I wouldn’t concern yourself with that.  There is an incentive to update
CHANGES.txt where it is appropriate — it’s a place to give yourself credit
as much as it is a place to notify users.  So your tool would see a commit
and run the subset of applicable tests based on some sort of source-code
dependency graph; right?  Of course for many parts of Lucene, that will
trigger all tests being run.  And in some cases, a dependency tool won’t
see code looked-up dynamically using SPI mechanisms like the Analysis
factories and Codecs and Solr PluginInfos.

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley