> Are you sure *all* back porting will be done by cherry picking?

Using merge commits for backporting would require resolving all differences
between master and the stable branch. From what I've seen, using merge
commits between two long lived branches usually happens in other projects
by forward porting, not backporting. I thought this was pointed out (that
cherry picking is really the only way to backport) in an earlier git
thread, but I could be wrong.