On 6/2/2017 6:45 AM, Adrien Grand wrote:
> Hi Anshum, will you branch both branch_7x and branch_7_0 at the same
> time? I think this is what we need to do but I'm asking in case you
> had planned differently.

It seems like a better idea to create only branch_7x right now, and
delay creating the 7_0 branch until we're ready to declare a feature
freeze, after which new stuff would be slated for 7.1.

For the two major releases I've witnessed, it took quite a while to go
from trunk/master to new release.  Most work for that preparation will
already require committing to both master and 7x, with some changes only
happening in one branch.  If we create the 7_0 branch now, a lot of work
over a fairly long timeframe will need to be applied to three branches
instead of two.  Backporting twice isn't difficult, but it is an extra
step that could easily be forgotten, causing unwanted divergence between
branches.

Usually the amount of time we need to worry about three branches is only
a few days and doesn't involve very many commits.  I don't think we want
that situation for as long as it would take to get from master to 7.0.

Thanks,
Shawn