Well... you might look at Overseer.java.   If you recall, we talked about
ways of using the Overseer less.  But this shows what it's doing today,
which is a lot.
Perhaps you might prefer learning about Apache Curator and then look
through our use of ZooKeeper.  Our use of ZK is sometimes direct and
sometimes through some home-made utilities like SolrZkClient and perhaps
some related things.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley