> separate repo can be used to test against many Solr versions. Imagine a
> component that works across Solr versions 6x through 9x from day one. I can't
> imagine such a component being part of the lucene-solr repo itself.

It'll be great to test contrib's on multiple Solr versions, but I
can't see any blockers for this that are same-repo specific.  Can you
elaborate on what makes this tricky in a same-repo setup?  AFAICT you
can set up multiple gradle test tasks that rely on different
solr-test-framework versions and run tests that way - regardless of
where the code lives.   (Or alternatively, docker images for various
Solr versions as David suggested.)

I think Jan's got a good point about how do-able it'll be in practice
to have plugins support multiple major release versions.  That said
though, a lot of these questions (docker tests vs otherwise, cross
major-version plugins?) will likely sort themselves out when it comes
time to implement.