Hoss,
One important reason why separate repo for solr-extras is a good idea, as
opposed to conrib modules, is that separate repo can be used to test
against many Solr versions. Imagine a component that works across Solr
versions 6x through 9x from day one. I can't imagine such a component being
part of the lucene-solr repo itself.

Also, today, contrib modules are shipped with Solr, which we don't want for
new things we might want to build.