Hi,

> One important reason why separate repo for solr-extras is a good idea, as
> opposed to conrib modules, is that separate repo can be used to test against
> many Solr versions. Imagine a component that works across Solr versions 6x
> through 9x from day one. I can't imagine such a component being part of the
> lucene-solr repo itself.

For independent tools such as solr-operator or prometheus-exporter, or some
future standalone DIH, it makes sense with separate repo and release cadence.
However it will be much easier for our 1st party packages to remain in the
monorepo, keeping all tests in-sync with core.

> Also, today, contrib modules are shipped with Solr, which we don't want for
> new things we might want to build.

Remember that Solr main tarball does not need to include all our packages. We
can easily extend our releae process to release e.g. solr-cell-9.5,
solr-analysis-9.5, solr-auth-xyz-9.5 in our release repo together with the 9.5
release, i.e. release every package with every Solr version. Then we do not
need a compatibility matrix, since users will be able to install the latest
package. And each release can ship with a pre-installed package repo for that
version.

I imagine it will be very very hard to provide cross-major-version
compatibility for some plugins. It may get easier as more higher-level APIs are
build to shield plugins from low-level inner code, but we're not there.

Jan