: As we discussed over the last few months, there seems a need to move
: non-core pieces away from the Solr core module. The contribs are presently
: a good place, but it makes sense to have a separate git repository hosting
: such modules. Some candidates that come to mind are the present day contrib

can you explain why it makes sense to have a separate git repo for these
things?

I can think of lots of reasons why it makes sense to have a single
repo for all things solr (unified CI that quickly identifies if core
changes break "first order" plugins, shared feature branches & monotomic
commits of code that affects APIs and impls of those APIs, etc...) but
I've yet to see any concrete specifics of why multiple git repos are
"better" then just having distinct sub-projects (with distinct artifacts)
in the same repo other then "it makes sense"

why does it make sense?

why can't the ideas of "solr-sandbox" and "solr-extras" just be
directories in the "solr repo" ? ... what value is gained by making them
new repos?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/