I've looked at the "via" in the changelog to figure out which committer works
in which areas the most, and therefore who to ping about a patch.  And I do
think that shepherding a patch file through to commit is worthy of some credit.
 It's often a fair amount of work to evaluate a patch file, offer constructive
suggestions to someone who may not be familiar with how the process works, and
eventually get it committed.  And it's often fairly thankless since you
typically are helping someone else scratch their itch, not your own!

On Jun 6, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> Opinions?
>
> I disagree - I think it makes it really easy to track who actually did the
> commit (the person *responsible* if it's a bad commit or a good commit) and I
> think there is some credit in a committer applying someones patch. They are
> doing the review and taking responsibility for the code change. I think *via*
> is pretty clear regarding credit, and I think it has value in it's
> information. Even if you simply commit someone else work, *you* are
> contributing to the issue. You better have reviewed it, you better be willing
> to take responsibility for it.
>
> Appears I'm in the strong minority though.
>
> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 |
http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server available from
http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether
attachments are marked as such.