> Yes... I think it should be:
>
> LUCENE-XXXX:
>  Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor)

I think it's very clear who the author was with:

LUCENE-XXXX:
 Fixed a horrible nasty bug. (Joe Contributor via Mr Committer)

I agree that committers should be generous and low key about their own
credit - but I think removing via is not that beneficial to contributor
credit, and is detrimental to committer credit - something that is also
important over the long term. We want to encourage committers to take up
others patches as much as we want to encourage others to make patches.
Until someone is a committer, reviewing and committing someones patch is a
large enough part of the issue to be pointed out. But should be separate
from the pure author section.

I see it as a net/net detrimental change over the long term.

--
- Mark