On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:16:29 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Hi anyone read about Siemens HiPath OpenOffice, I am still having a hard
> time defining what it is and if it at any point has to do with
> OpenOffice.org or not.
>
> www.siemens.co.uk/openoffice
>
> I would really want to get more input from this product that Siemen
> released and if there could be any issues with the branding.

Looking at their site, and remembering Siemens roots (they started out making
PABX telephone systems), this seems to be a very fancy PIM and communications
application. It seems to aim to integrate every communication medium that a
business (specifically an SME) uses into a single desktop interface.

It does not appear to be a productivity suite in the sense of MSO or OO.o (in
fact, there appears to be no office suite - word-processor, spreadsheet
etc. - component there at all.

That would be in keeping with Siemens' traditional business.

As for branding/copyright, that would be a matter for the legal people,
although the fact they've run the words "open" and "office" together, as do
we, could be an issue.

--
Alex Fisher

Co-Lead, CD-ROM Project