On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 22:17 +0000, jonathon wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>
> > > I realize that trademark registration is expensive.
> > Not that expensive. IIRC it was about £250 ($500) to trademark the
>
> For one country about £250. Multiply that by 244 and you are looking
> at roughly 61,000 pounds. Not as much as I thought it would be.  (I'm
> quoting Wikipedia for the number of countries, so that figure is
> probably wrong.)

So just register it in the G8 countries to start with. That would make
it very difficult for anyone to do much and it would only cost £2k.

> > So in the whole scheme of things trademarking OOo in the G8
> countries is a negligible cost compared to the salaries of the
> developers, community manager and
>
> Assuming that other countries charge roughly the same amount, you're
> looking at the cost of three or four employees, for trademark
> protection in every country of the world.

But we don't really need to do it in every country to have a big effect.
What we want is maximum effect for minimum cost. Even just registering
in the USA would make a big difference.

> [Note to self:  construct list of countries, with amount to register
> trademark, and process by which that can be done.]
>
> > Interesting idea. What name would be suitable? Freedom office, perhaps?
> > or the People's Office?
>
> In the US, "People's Office" sounds like a communist plot.   "Freedom
> Office" might work, but suffers from association with "freedom fries"
>
> I'd like to retain the OOo designation, but not sure how.   "Oooh"
> might be a little too out of place for a corporate environment.  I was
> thinking of something in Esperanto, Interlingua, or one of the other
> conlangs would be a good choice.
> Perhaps "toko tomo pali".
> (Wondering how Sonja Kisa would react if that were to be the name of
> the project.)
>
> >It would also counter MS and its OOXML piracy of the name.
>
> That is part of the idea of worldwide trademark protection.

Just the USA would have stopped MS if someone had had the foresight to
do it. Quite amazing given all the paranoia with Sun legal in dealing
with the OOo web site for example.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications