Hi all,

I have started a wiki page for collecting content for the OpenOffice.org 3.0 feature list page that I talked about before:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_3.0_Feature_List

I'll add descriptions and more screen shots over the next few days, but I'd like to invite everybody to contribute to the wiki page as well!

Thanks a lot and all the best,
Erwin

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
Luis, and others,

Since OpenOffice.org 3.0 is a new major release, I think we need to prepare more marketing material than we did for the minor releases between 2.0 and 3.0.

On of my ideas was to create an appealing and user-friendly feature list that summarizes all the key features of OpenOffice.org 3.0 including those introduced with OOo 2.4, OOo 2.3, OOo 2.2 and OOo 2.1. What I have in mind is something like the following two pages where a combination of screen shots (maybe even screen casts), plus links, plus a text description explain the different features:

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/index.html
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/1.1/index.html

BTW, we seem to have a huge opportunity in pitching OpenOffice.org 3.0 to Mac users as users/customers don't seem to be all too happy with the market leading alternative on the Mac (check out the Amazon reviews for example):

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000WR2F2M/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
http://www.officeformac.com/.ee88ac9/
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6846019
http://www.idealog.us/2008/02/microsoft-offic.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/54320/2006/12/microsoft.html
http://www.macwindows.com/office2008.html
http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/08/saying-goodbye-to-visual-basic/
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/developers/default.mspx
http://www.mactech.com/vba-transition-guide/
http://notebook.bekkelund.net/2008/02/13/ooxml-%E2%80%94-the-apple-headache/
http://mintchocicecream.googlepages.com/ooxml
http://technosailor.com/2008/02/22/the-problem-microsoft-created-mac-office-2008/
http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/office2008/
http://blogs.sun.com/malte/entry/back_from_csun

Below is a list of features that I think we should highlight. Do you agree with that list? What should be added or removed? BTW, I listed the Sun extensions in particular because they were listed on various roadmap slides in the past (e.g. the ones shown at OOoCon), and just happened to be developed as extensions instead of built-in features. O.k., here is my list:

Key Features Introduced With OpenOffice.org 3.0

Built-in Features
-----------------

* Mac OS X Support
  - Accessibility
  - Solver
  - Cross platform interoperability
  - Stability
  - Some VBA support

* ODF 1.2 support
  - Formula language (OpenFormula)
  - Metadata information (W3C RDF/OWL based)

* Office 2007 import filters

* Solver

* Chart enhancements
  - Error bars
  - Pie chart formatting options

* Improved crop feature in Draw and Impress

* Spreadsheet collaboration through workbook sharing

* 1024 columns per Calc sheet instead of 256

* Display of multiple Writer pages while editing

* Improved notes feature in Writer

* New, fresh-looking icons (since developer snapshot m10)

Features in Extensions
----------------------
* Mozilla Thunderbird & Lightning 0.8 (email & calendaring)
* Soon: Wiki Publisher
* Soon: PDF Import Extension
* Soon: Presenter Console

Key Features Introduced With OpenOffice.org 2.4

Built-in Features
-----------------

* Connect to WebDAV servers via HTTPS

* PDF/A support

* Support for Access 2007 (.accdb files)

* Columns and rows in spreadsheet can be moved with drag and drop

* Print dialog for Calc easier to use

* Chart enhancements
  - Display of equations for regression curves
  - Many new data label formatting options

* Transformation of CSV data inside cells into columns within Calc

* Extension framework enhancements
  - Inclusion of online help information
  - Inclusion of publisher and release note information
  - Check-for-update mechanism

* Language selector in Writer toolbar

Features in Extensions
----------------------
* Sun Presentation Minimizer

Key Features Introduced With OpenOffice.org 2.3

Built-in Features
-----------------

* New Chart component
  - Exploded 3D pie charts
  - New, fresh-looking color scheme
  - Flexible source ranges

* MediaWiki export filter for Writer

* Playing a sound during a full slide show in Impress

* Custom animation paths in Impress

* Maximum page size enlarged for Draw (300cm x 300cm)

Features in Extensions
----------------------
* Sun Report Builder

Key Features Introduced With OpenOffice.org 2.2

* Improved Pivot Table support

* Improved Vista support

* Enhanced PDF export
  - Initial view options

* Autokerning enabled by default

* "Queries within Queries" feature for Base

Key Features Introduced With OpenOffice.org 2.1

* Multiple monitor support in Impress

* Improved HTML export for spreadsheets

* Improved support for Microsoft Access in Base

* Quickstarter for GNU/Linux

What we need are short, catchy, easy-to-understand, convincing descriptions of all these features as well as screen shots and/or screen casts to illustrate the features. Do you want to help with that?

If yes, what features would you like to cover? Please keep in mind that we don't have too much time, as I think it would be good to have the information ready for the beta launch. Thus, there are just a few days left.

BTW, additional background information regarding all the different features can be found on the following pages:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Feature_Freeze_Testing_3.0
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/what_s_up_in_ooo
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/pdf_import_first_milestone_reached
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/presenter_screen
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/most_pop_ext
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/New_Features_2.4
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/New_Features_2.3
http://www.openoffice.org/press/press_release_ooo2.2.0.html
http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.2.0.html
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=311
http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.1.0.html

Thanks a lot,
Erwin

Luis e. Vàsquez r. wrote:
Medellín, April 25   2008
Hi, Erwin Please let me participate "launch plan OO.org 3.0". As you know actually, I am active user/participant of es,openoffice.org and have a lot of expectative about OO.org 3.0, specially Pim client & collaborative extensions. Since m2 I am using Dev 300, full trying and testing. Just let me Know how can I help. Best regards Luis e. Vásquez r.
OpenOffice.org  volunteer & support
/-------Mensaje original-------/ /*De:*/ Erwin Tenhumberg <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/*Fecha:*/ 25/04/2008 06:19:16 a.
/*Para:*/ dev@marketing.openoffice.org <mailto:dev@marketing.openoffice.org> /*Asunto:*/ Re: [marketing] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta Release notes and other marketing materials ? > BTW, who is willing to help with screenshots and feature descriptions?
 > We even might want to include screencasts of key features.
Is anybody interested in helping with the OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta
"launch plan"? It would be useful to have some people help with writing
feature descriptions, taking screenshots, etc.
Cheers,
Erwin
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Emoticones gratis para su correo electrónico - ¡Por IncrediMail! ¡Haga clic aquí! <http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=101289>