Hello, Péter!

It's a pleasure to hear from you (and your team)....

On 2009-06-03, at 06:41 , Szakál Péter wrote:

Dear All!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Peter Szakal.

I work with open source softwares since 2004, when we released our
software package based on OOo under the name "SpringOffice".
Since 2005 I am a co-owner of Open SKM Agency, an agency offering
consultancy and management services. As a partner of Sun Microsystems we
are the exclusive representative of StarOffice in Hungary.

In the last few years we co-ordinated government lobby activity together
with different companies (Sun Microsystems, IBM, Oracle, ULX/Red Hat)
and civil organizations (ODFA, IVSZ) to end the monopol situation of
Microsoft on the public software market. Our activity was successful:
the secretary for Informatics and Government Commissioner announced the
Hungarian government is going to increase its use of open source
software and will make 21 million Euro available for open source
softwares.

Congratulations! This is very good news indeed, and quite in keeping with the worldwide trend to Foss and ODF in government.

We also supported and managed local FLOSS events like FLOSS Farm,
participated at conferences and published articles and created studies
in the subject of Open source softwares especially StarOffice and
OpenOffice.

I am the teamleader of the commity to organise OOoCon in Budapest - as
it is already known we won the tender for the year 2010.

Yes, indeed. I think we all look forward to the event there.

If you would like to know more about our activity, click on the link:
http://openskm.com/press/index.html

Thanks; I shall.

In the future I would like to become an active member of the
OpenOffice.org marketing project and share my experiences with the OOo
community.

I think we can start sooner than that (though, of course the future is always when you make of it). I'm thinking that one thing that needs to be strengthened in Eastern Europe is in fact Foss and OOo, as it is suffering in places such as Romania, where the government has recently opted to ignore Foss and opt for far more limiting proprietary alternatives.

What would thus be useful is to learn of the strategies and tactics your team and those who worked with you employed. For instance, was the active intervention of the multinationals you mention a crucial factor? It often is--a nation is more willing to listen if it can anticipate or bank upon investment in it by a multinational. It's less keen on supporting those groups which only promise to save money, foster a vibrant ecosystem, enhance and develop democracy and provide a sustainable social and informational base. All those things take time to develop, unlike the promise of a development station (or whatever) that can be promised today for next quarter.

Best,
Peter SZAKAL
Open SKM Agency Ltd.
+36-70-704-5669
szakal.pe...@openskm.com

Péter, btw, you might want to think twice about putting your telephone numbers in your sig; this is a public list and "public" means tens of millions can view it, today, tomorrow, forever.

Ciao,
:Louis

Louis Suarez-Potts, PhD
Community Manager, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
OpenOffice.org