On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Christine Louise Beems
<christ...@gozarks.com> wrote:
re: "I also believe we should avoid proprietary software to create marketing
materials, especially when the pdfs they create do not print correctly on
the most common Linux pdf viewer :("

I agree, even tho I am a PhotoShop baby. For those who may be interested,
here are examples of my design work:
http://www.holleymountainairpark.com/brochure/ and any/all of the PDFs
posted to http://www.unipulllc.com/notice/catalog.htm

[aside: I would like to know how these PDFs come thru to folks using the
Linux PDF viewer... and/or if I can install/use such a utility while running
Windows?]

you can virtualize a Linux environment by basically using something like
VirtualBox. Beside's that I think you can make an effort to run xpdf from here
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/xpdf.htm

I am open <smile> to learning to work with a new set of design tools and
have been randomly playing with Open Source applications for a while, making
some progress... In fact, I just created my first 'promo flyer' using OO.o
Writer (and I will post a link to a copy when I get it online) however the
big stumbling block for me is the necessity of having 'immediate access' to
the storehouse of graphical materials I've created over the last decade
-and- having 'immediate access' to utilizing the skill-set I've built over
my professional life <grin>.

Well Inkscape and Gimp are both multiplatform so you should have no issue
running them on proprietary operating systems.
Inskcape: http://www.inkscape.org/download/
Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/windows/

And it seems to me from the limited research I've done, that I would need to
(learn to) use 2 or 3 OS applications in order to do what I do
semi-autonomically with PhotoShop... Tho I would love to be corrected and

Not really, like I said most of the Open source graphical tools run also under
proprietary OSes.

put on track of an application that would make this transition smooth and
easy for professionals like myself...

Well older PSD can be read by Gimp althought I would recomend changing to an
open standard such as PNG and SVG. Unfortunately PNG don't support layers so
having such tools would need more study. But you might also gain ground by
learning the basics on creating / porting, tools such as brushes and textures.

I also recomend subscribing to forums or support IRC rooms like:
Gimp: http://gimper.net/   IRC: irc.gimpnet.net/gimp
Inkscape: http://www.inkscapeforum.com/ IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/inkscape
In light of which about the suggestion for a 'mix and match' high quality,
global, 'language neutral' (thus totally graphical) full color folder
(printed on one side or both?); a generic/boilerplate black and white (with
fill-in space for local contact/promo info, optimally in an editable PDF)
'ad slick' in multiple languages and suitable for reproduction on a
photocopier and/or computer printer; and six (?) full-color unique 'product
info' inserts, one per each OO.o application...

This seems a solid approach to me. In my lingo, what you describe is called
a Presentation Kit. And optimally, all the endorsed/approved materials that
go into the kit are developed, designed and formatted to enable any person
with immediate download of any single page and print very effective high
quality 'product info inserts' a few at a time.

At the same time, for dstribution at conference/events and/or to make
'promotional presentations' to (for example) government agencies, nothing
says 'top drawer' or grabs attention like a well-groomed and professionally
printed Presentation Kit <grin>.

In light of which I'm wondering, by what date do you envision these
materials making print? I suspect the aim would be for the annual conference
in the autumn(?) of 2010 and the celebration of OO.o's 10th Birthday... yes?

Also, I think it is critical to clearly define 'the customer' we want these
materials persuade, intrigue and provoke to give OO.o a try. This is
significant in terms not only of establishing brandname identity over the
long haul, but equally in terms of 'getting the most (ROI) bang for our buck
in terms of printing costs.

And under this heading I ask us to remember (about promotional design) that
not only is it 'the sizzle that sells the steak' but also that it is 'the
customer' who decides *what* the sizzle is...

That is, are these materials are being designed to further expand knowledge
about OO.o in the community of application developers...? or is the
overarching aim to attract and persuade business, education and
administrative professionals...? because just as with any translation, the
text and other content of the inserts must be meticulously constructed with
the 'professional lingo and imagery' that the folks we most wish to persuade
most fluntly speak...

One way perhaps to tailor the package to serve both tech and non-tech
audiences could be to design the front/back cover with a universal branding
stategy; design the full color inserts to headline, bullet-point, simplify
and quicken the comprehension of the Features, Advantages, and Benefits of
OO.o applications and, in addition to the generic/boilerplate black and
white fill-in for localized promo, publish a non-editable PDF 'ad slick'
specific to the 'Core Improvements' in the current version which would also
be available in multiple languages and suitable for reproduction on a
photocopier and/or computer printer.

Anyway, those are my thots and questions... Hope all goes well with each of
you. And thanks for the attention to detail y'all give to stuff like this
<smile>. In my experience, it really is the difference between 'one time
wonder'  and 'enduring success'.... ~Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCreesh" <jp...@openoffice.org>