On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
John McCreesh wrote:
I agree with Alexandro - I prefer the more graphical look of the
"Education Flyer". I think this particular flyer is good, although I think
it could be improved by targeting the message better, and making more use
of the available space. I also believe we should avoid proprietary
software to create marketing materials, especially when the pdfs they
create do not print correctly on the most common Linux pdf viewer :(

The pamphlet/flyers/whatever you want to call them, should be done in
Writer.  That way anyone that needs them can make the appropriate
changes for they locale and print them out.

Writer is an awful tool to do DTP, I would rather use Draw 100 times more than
writer. However there are other tools such as inkscpe and Scribus that allow
for better interaction with vectorial design.

As an early warning, for our 2010 marketing work I'll be looking to source
some new brochures for conferences etc. There was some off-line discussion
about this at OOoCon - one suggestion that went down well was to go 'mix
and match'. So, we'd have a high quality, global, 'language neutral'
folder - think http://www.folderprinting.co.uk/a4-folders.html - which we
would use with inserts as appropriate:

- for a small event - e.g. at a university - a local team could print out
/ photocopy black and white A4 inserts in the local language
- for a large consumer event we could have one insert per 'application'
(Writer, Calc, etc) printed full colour

This may work for a large venue but what I am looking at is maybe 100 or
200 to send to university for an event they are having.

The folder could also contain a product DVD if appropriate.

Feedback welcomed - would this work?

Thanks - John

I have posters and disk ready to ship, it is the flyers that are holding
me up.

I guess the art list would be the best to address, explain the template that you want to see, background on the event and get ready to evaluate the design proposals.

--
Andy