Hi,

On 2010-01-19, at 09:15 , WorldLabel.com wrote:

> There has been some discussion off-list about ODF. I think it would be a
> great idea to include information on the format at the booth also. I will
> make contact with some folks at the Opendocumentfellowship and ODFalliance
> to see if we can gather some help from them. Thoughts would welcomed.

Well, I've been involved in those discussions, as I'm on two Oasis Technical
Committees advocating the use and normalization of ODF (Oasis is the org. that
maintains the standard) and I promote the development of the standard around
the world.

ODF is supported by a wide consortium of public and private enterprises. It is
seen as the wedge by which other public goods, such as OOo, can be introduced
to otherwise closed shops. It's thus pretty important, both in itself and as a
tactical tool. And it's something that librarians and archivists, around the
world, really like.

Engaging the ALA (and also, I'd think) in the global campaign to move to a true
open standard like the ODF is, I think, a solid tactic and might be a stronger
one than focusing on OOo alone. (OOo is the "implementation" and is not
commensurate with the standard; it, OOo, can implement--and does--other
formats. The format is not the same as the application that implements it.)

I've been trying to get the Canadian equivalent of the ALA to adopt the ODF,
and have also worked with the Swedish equivalent and others. The tide is
turning--and I'm delighted to say, to a rational solution that favours open
standards and sustainable tools.

Cheers,
Louis