To: <dev@marketing.openoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [marketing] American Library Association 2010 Annual Conference

Hi Christine,

Christine Louise Beems wrote:
About flyers, printing and promotional/show materials in general...

I strongly recommend (to my paying clients <smile>) that hard-copy
publication of documents for promotional distribution be kept to a
critical minimum for reasons of marketing effectiveness and responsible
stewardship of resources.

In this interest, there is only 1 printed document is produced in mass
quantity to hand out at a show. This can be either a flyer or a showcard
with outstanding graphic design (ie: curb appeal) that succinctly
communicates the features, advantages and benefits of the
service/product being promoted and clearly points the way to a website
where comprehensive information is easily found.

I would like to see what you would do with
http://opendocumentfellowship.com/libraries to get it on a "show card".
The site has a ODT and PDF version of the flyer that we are talking about.

In addition, one of the things we *should* be thinking about and
developing (as immediately as possible) is a 'promotional calendar'.
This is accomplished by starting with the date of the event (in this
case June 24-30, 2010 -- yes?) and backtracking to line-item what must
be done by when.

For example, we would want to aim for a 'media saturation campaign'
during the entire month of June. This means that we would have to get
'news release' event announcements and promotional blurbs distributed to
'trade publications' (and various others) by no later than April 15 as
it takes a minimum of 6 weeks lead time for such announcement to have
the realistic possiblity of making print.

Do we have someone that will take this on?  Russell has already posted a
group of links that would be a good starting point for this.

Which brings up another point I've been meaning to raise for a while...
in that it takes me something like a dozen clicks (and I have to
somewhat know where I am going) to get from the OOo homepage to the
archive of our news releases... and in terms of making things easy for
reporters to access the kind of infomation they need in order to convey
accurate information about us to their readers, our news release archive
section should easily accessible from just about every page of the whole
OOo site <smile>.

The link to the wiki has been posted here several time,
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/US/Home/ALA-2010 .

And about banners... think how kewl it would be to 'print our own'
(totally awesome) banner(s) using OOo to do the design and then be able
to say to show attendees... 'see, look what can be easily done with
OOo... and you can do it too!!!'

Where can I find information on printing banners in OpenOffice.org?
This would be very useful in my current job.  But I am worried that such
a banner would not be professional looking.

Thanks for your time.

Andy