Hi Christine,

Christine Louise Beems wrote:
> About flyers, printing and promotional/show materials in general...
>
> I strongly recommend (to my paying clients <smile>) that hard-copy
> publication of documents for promotional distribution be kept to a
> critical minimum for reasons of marketing effectiveness and responsible
> stewardship of resources.
>
> In this interest, there is only 1 printed document is produced in mass
> quantity to hand out at a show. This can be either a flyer or a showcard
> with outstanding graphic design (ie: curb appeal) that succinctly
> communicates the features, advantages and benefits of the
> service/product being promoted and clearly points the way to a website
> where comprehensive information is easily found.

I would like to see what you would do with
http://opendocumentfellowship.com/libraries to get it on a "show card".
 The site has a ODT and PDF version of the flyer that we are talking about.

> In addition, one of the things we *should* be thinking about and
> developing (as immediately as possible) is a 'promotional calendar'.
> This is accomplished by starting with the date of the event (in this
> case June 24-30, 2010 -- yes?) and backtracking to line-item what must
> be done by when.
>
> For example, we would want to aim for a 'media saturation campaign'
> during the entire month of June. This means that we would have to get
> 'news release' event announcements and promotional blurbs distributed to
> 'trade publications' (and various others) by no later than April 15 as
> it takes a minimum of 6 weeks lead time for such announcement to have
> the realistic possiblity of making print.

Do we have someone that will take this on?  Russell has already posted a
group of links that would be a good starting point for this.

> Which brings up another point I've been meaning to raise for a while...
> in that it takes me something like a dozen clicks (and I have to
> somewhat know where I am going) to get from the OOo homepage to the
> archive of our news releases... and in terms of making things easy for
> reporters to access the kind of infomation they need in order to convey
> accurate information about us to their readers, our news release archive
> section should easily accessible from just about every page of the whole
> OOo site <smile>.

The link to the wiki has been posted here several time,
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/US/Home/ALA-2010 .

> And about banners... think how kewl it would be to 'print our own'
> (totally awesome) banner(s) using OOo to do the design and then be able
> to say to show attendees... 'see, look what can be easily done with
> OOo... and you can do it too!!!'

Where can I find information on printing banners in OpenOffice.org?
This would be very useful in my current job.  But I am worried that such
a banner would not be professional looking.

Thanks for your time.

Andy