> Generally in the last 13 years these types of meetings have resulted in very
> little other than people who are being paid to work on Maven. First it's not
> a trivial amount of money for many to travel across the world for a meeting
> and miss several >days of work, even if you live in Europe. Second, having
> these big-bang, lets-change-the-world events have always dissipated out
> pretty fast. This is not cynicism, this is just observed fact over the years.
> If no one is working on basic maintenance > and bug fixing then I highly
> doubt anything bigger is going to change.

As far as I know no-one is vacuuming the market for employing maven
devs these days, so the chances for getting such a job by attending
apachecon is probably close to zero.

I'm not suggesting we change the world, I just think it would be a
nice thing to do. Neither am I suggesting a "project" as such but if
such a thing was to happen I would definitely want some kind of
predefined agenda and maybe even some prepared materials - not just
beer drinking.

I am not impressed by the lack of evolution in maven, which also
basically includes every side project I've seen up to date - including
efforts outside apache.

> However, I do think that talking with others is orders of magnitude more
> productive than mailing lists, but we can start doing this today with a
> Google hangout. Having face-to-face meetings more often and discussing
> changes I think would be a positive step forward and doesn't require
> traveling around the world to accomplish.

There is no either/or. You can have your hangouts, I'll still see if
there's interest in meeting up at apachecon. The cost is significant,
and I am also unsure about the overall schedule/value of a whole
week's worth of conferencing. But I'll leave that consideration until
the agenda starts showing up.

Kristian