On Saturday, November 22, 2014, Mirko Friedenhagen <mfriedenha...@gmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','mfriedenha...@gmail.com');>> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2014 10:42 PM, "Stephen Connolly" <
> stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <
> > Java's mascot is called Duke... I don't think Sun trademarked Durk nor
> have
> > Oracle (yet... at least to my knowledge)
>
> Do not call for it ;-)
> I like the owl B (the style reminds me of a certain butler, though :-) )

For any "cartoony" style mascot with black outlining of the colours, you're
going to get a similar look.

I didn't like the look when I removed the black outlines, and going
monotone makes it hard to express the owlness

My reason for favouring a cartoony style is that a small number of solid
colours with black outlines tends to print on t-shirt etc much better than
gradients etc.

I like the http://cloudstack.apache.org monkey mascot. With it's skinny
body it can pull off the two tone without needing outlining. I don't see a
skinny owl working, certainly I could try removing the outlining as it
might work with the blue, but IIRC you need to make the head bigger than
the eyes to make that work and the beak gets lost...

So to TL;DR I wasn't consciously channelling Mr J, obviously I am a long
time contributer to that project, so my style of icons can veer
"Tango"-ish, but I think the style works well for what we need...
Ultimately the community decides in the end ;-)