"Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/05/2004 04:14:03 PM:

> Several things:
> - when you talk about "refactoring out", do you mean refactor out within
> the Ant project or copy-paste the code somewhere else?

Initially into the Maven code base. But later on, sharing with Ant would
be a goal.

> - Refactoring out is not that easy (but possible) as the Ant tasks are
> quite linked to the Project class.

Yes, I think we'd both need to work on that. Ant and Maven.

> - What would the refactoring buy us? Ant tasks can already be reused
> outside of the context of Ant, from any java code. There are some
> gotchas in some cases (for tasks that require some classloader) but this
> is mostly done in the task code itself and not generally across Ant's
> code base. I've talked to Stefan and he's very open to work with us,
> task by task to make change to accommodate us should it be required.

Common code for use anywhere. If we worked together with Ant on a case by
case basis, and made the code we do write easily reusable, it would make
adoption by Ant a lot easier.

> The problem with refactoring out is that you still need to expose the
> following:
> - configuration IF (that can be solved easily by having setters)
> - lifecycle IF (that can be solved easily by saying all tasks are thread
> safe)
> - classloading IF (that can be solved by having a
> setClassLoader(ClassLoader) as this IF already exists in the JDK
> - logging IF (this is the hardest one, unless we decide to use the JDK
> 1.4 logging IF but then I'm not sure everyone would agree)

Yes, and things like consistent logging etc need to be solved for Maven2
before it goes too far and we end up with a System.out.println fest.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting