[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: 04 May 2004 08:34
> To: Maven Developers List
> Subject: RE: [maven2] Anything Groovy in Maven2?
>
> "Vincent Massol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/05/2004 04:14:03
PM:

> > Several things:
> > - when you talk about "refactoring out", do you mean refactor out
within
> > the Ant project or copy-paste the code somewhere else?
>
> Initially into the Maven code base. But later on, sharing with Ant
would
> be a goal.

Hmmm.... I think we need to talk more about this and involve the Ant
team in the discussion as we need their help anyway. I'd prefer it to be
in the Ant codebase (provided they are ok - If not I agree it could be
done in Maven code base or elsewhere).

> > - Refactoring out is not that easy (but possible) as the Ant tasks
are
> > quite linked to the Project class.
>
> Yes, I think we'd both need to work on that. Ant and Maven.

Definitely.

> > - What would the refactoring buy us? Ant tasks can already be reused
> > outside of the context of Ant, from any java code. There are some
> > gotchas in some cases (for tasks that require some classloader) but
this
> > is mostly done in the task code itself and not generally across
Ant's
> > code base. I've talked to Stefan and he's very open to work with us,
> > task by task to make change to accommodate us should it be required.
>
> Common code for use anywhere. If we worked together with Ant on a case
by
> case basis, and made the code we do write easily reusable, it would
make
> adoption by Ant a lot easier.

Agreed. It's almost there but a little push towards even better
separation from Ant core is required I think. But again we must do it
with the Ant team. I know Stefan is keen to help.

I've started a discussion on the Ant ML which is ATM geared towards
reusing the JUnit Task in embedded mode.

> > The problem with refactoring out is that you still need to expose
the
> > following:
> > - configuration IF (that can be solved easily by having setters)
> > - lifecycle IF (that can be solved easily by saying all tasks are
thread
> > safe)
> > - classloading IF (that can be solved by having a
> > setClassLoader(ClassLoader) as this IF already exists in the JDK
> > - logging IF (this is the hardest one, unless we decide to use the
JDK
> > 1.4 logging IF but then I'm not sure everyone would agree)
>
> Yes, and things like consistent logging etc need to be solved for
Maven2
> before it goes too far and we end up with a System.out.println fest.

commons-logging is the best match I can think of for now.

-Vincent