I'm a little confused on this thread. The fast xdoc plugins sounds good and
using *Mesh sounds like a neat idea, but I still don't understand why we
need things to conform to a certain XHTML output format.

Surely the inputs are the page body (xdoc), the navigation (xml), and
perhaps some other metadata files we have come up with along the way, and
any plugins should work with that transforming xdoc -> xdoc, with the
actualy xdoc -> xhtml being the last stage of the pipeline?

And the xdoc plugin, while it should have a fast, standard implementation,
should definitely be able to read an XSLT file and use that instead if that
is what the user really wants to do.

That's my understanding, let me know if I'm missing something.

Cheers,
Brett