Vincent Massol wrote:

Hi Maven devs,

I think there's a need to allow specifying when some artifacts are only to
be looked for in the local repository. For example, in a multiproject the
local repository is used to share private artifacts between the subprojects.
These private artifacts are not meant to be uploaded to a Maven remote repo.

Currently, Maven tries to download them every time and the timeout (about 3
seconds for me) is a pain and is not normal.

The main problem which we have here is not snapshot semantic per se but the fact that ibiblio is currently too slow
to handle it.

Sometime ago I proposed something different but the reasoning behind it was the same: we can have dedicated repositories for snapshot artifacts.
IMO snapshot artifact should not go repositories to ibiblio ( "milestone", timestamped version builds can)

With m2 per project basis you are allowed to add repositories which should be visited while artifacts are downloaded.
It will be nice to have a possibility of adding repositories where maven should search for the latest version of snapshot artifacts
(by default this list might be empty). The situation when snapshot artifact is missing in the local repository still can be handled in a normal way.

This + unified source directory and in situ processing with reactor which Jason mentioned previously might be helpful.

Michal