I don't think the speed problem can ever be fixed as it depends partly on my
internet connection and a remote operation will still be several order of
magnitude longer than a local one. The in-situ handling of artifacts will
solve it but I was more interested on how to solve this within the m1 time
frame.

> To get it working today, I think you can construct a set of JAR
> overrides pointing at a local repository:
> maven.jar.override = on
> maven.jar.foo = ${maven.repo.local}/foo/jars/foo-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> This should prevent them ever being downloaded once set.

True. I can also run with the offline mode on. But all those are really
hacks. I was looking for a more robust solution for m1.

Basically I was proposing a solution to imitate the in-situ artifact
handling using m1, by describing to m1 that such and such artifacts are
local artifacts. I think we all agree that in-situ handling of artifacts is
required so why not implement it for m1 while waiting for the proper
solution that will arrive in m2?

Anyway, I was just testing the water with a backward-compatible proposal so
see if there was interest. It doesn't seem there is so I'll continue using
the hacks I currently use... ;-)

Thanks
-Vincent