Hi Brian,

Thanks for the great response - comments inline...

On 02/09/2007, at 11:30 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

The misunderstanding seems to be:
1) that I thought we were going to require plugin versions to be
specified in the future. You seem to say that is no longer the case.

I think you're right here. After reading your response to my comments, I
realized my (and I think Jason's) assumption is that the core doesn't
require the versions.

Yep, since that was my original gut feeling many moons ago, and since we're seeing the same feeling from the poll, I agree this is the best way to go (in conjunction with some warnings/assistance like you are discussing with Dennis).

First, what exactly is in the java pack 1.0? (which plugins and which
versions?) What happens if I don't want 1 of the plugins in the
pack...I'm back to defining the pluginManagement section for that one.
Over time, you will find that you get pMgt creep and soon the pack isn't really useful anymore because you've had to redefine too many versions.

I've always been a big fan of help:effective-* for this. Even today you can look at the POM and see something different to what is used, or have to hunt around through all the parents due to the existence of *Management sections.

However, it makes a good point, and is something that is not in favour of mixins in general.

Everything else you said below makes sense and is pretty much in line with my experience, so I think it's best to defer this for a general mixins proposal (if at all).

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - [EMAIL PROTECTED]