On 7 Sep 07, at 6:39 AM 7 Sep 07, Mark Hobson wrote:

On 07/09/2007, Mark Hobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I started trying to get 2.0.x to use maven-artifact 3.0-SNAPSHOT.  It
doesn't seem too bad - no compilation problems - currently just a
linking issue to resolve before the IT tests should hopefully pass.

The linking issue was due to maven-plugin-plugin using the old
maven-artifact - updating its dependencies fixed the ITs.  Only it0095
and it0118 fail for me now, but then they fail with the current 2.0.x
branch too.

That's awesome news.

How do we want to take this forward?

I'll take a try and run it as well and then we have to decide if we trust our tests. We might want to be a little more rigourous and try to run some of the other major plugins like the archetype and the site plugin which make use of the resolver. If those make it I would think that it's pretty safe.

We also have to deal with tools that require 3 modules instead of one. Old plugins might have used maven-repository-metadata, maven- artifact, and maven-artifact-manager so we have to make sure that works somehow.

But as discussed in a mail a few days ago I am fine with having releases require at least betas and maven-artifact is not going to be for a while.

So if it works that's great, we need to assess some other plugins, our tests and decide whether we can use it or not. The code is not really an alpha, it's just the decoupled code with a bumped version.

With some rigourous testing and we find it works I would much prefer to use the same decoupled codebase.

I can commit these changes and
delete the old maven-artifact & maven-artifact-manager, although I'm
guessing several plugins will need updating to use the new
maven-artifact.  A branch may be better if people want to review it
first.

Yah, we would definitely need to figure out how to use the new code with old plugins. There probably are not that many but we still need to make sure it works.

Cheers,

Mark

Jason

Jason van Zyl