On 15-Sep-08, at 11:55 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

On 15/09/2008, at 6:47 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

I honestly don't think this is necessary. The real problem is lack of consistency in deploying the IT ball. And honestly the IT ball is fine for casual people trying to test things but is ineffective for real-time work as we saw last week. It's dead simple to run the ITs from source using Hudson. I think the IT is great for contributors not really any good for us.

Sure, but an entirely different problem to what I'm addressing here.

You want to take maven-verifier out of shared?

Yes, see above.

-1

This is being used by other integration tests and is separate. I don't want it globbed in with our integration tests.

It would still be separate. What I'm really suggesting is putting the helper (abstract test base class, used by both Maven's test suite and NMaven's test suite), in with the verifier and releasing them together. Shared is fine too, but I was thinking giving them their own trunk as a multi-module.

I can go ahead and release the verifier on it's own, but the structure of the core-integration-testing is not conducive to releasing maven-integration-test-helper which is also needed. I think it makes more sense alongside the verifier.

I don't really see much value in shuffling this around more right now. What would really help is to take the core-it-runner thing and put that in the same package and remove the duplication in the trunk and branches as that's really a separate module and doesn't belong with the rest of the code. And what would add even more value is knocking off some of these issues first:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/IT+Problems

I'm not really having any difficultly with the current structure, neither are Shane and John now that they just run the job in Hudson which takes care of any necessary updating. I certainly don't want to move the verifier and second we change or add ITs which is happening fairly often now it just forces releasing, waiting for 3 days, people being out of sync. I just don't see it being worth it. It's easy in Hudson to run this stuff for our development purposes and CI.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]