Jason van Zyl wrote:

Though if you want to work on the ITs, I think the first thing that would be useful is to get the core Maven plugins out of the ITs which we are using for testing. Integration tests for plugins themselves should be moved to their respective plugins and stay there.

One of the key things to remember in this part, IMO, is that many ITs simply use `mvn install` on a POM with jar packaging. That's going to always implicate a whole host of plugins. I've recently taken to building and using custom plugins for my ITs, but that still has a problem of dragging those plugins necessary for the plugin build - even more than those used in the jar build, actually.

I'm not sure how best to address this, but from my point of view its much clearer to be able to crack open a plugin that's specific to the test in order to tell where it's failing, so it's important to have IT-specific plugins and to have those plugins' sources available (for modification in case they're doing something stupid to test the desired behavior).