On 02/07/2009, at 4:06 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 1-Jul-09, at 10:52 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:

It's logical to believe that 2.1 and 2.2 contain almost all the
unresolved bugs of 2.0.x. Since 2.0.x is no longer being supported,
there's no good reason to keep them attached to that version. You only
want to backport the issues that will get fixing -- not potential
fixes UNLESS the issue is exclusively a 2.0.x issue.

Unfortunately this may not be the case because the code bases are now pretty different. My only concern is that the 2.0.x line becomes the ugly stepchild meanwhile this is where the vast majority of our users live.

Ok, even so - I think there was some agreement that we wouldn't explicitly plan for a 2.0.12+ release, which was the motivation for the change I made. If, in the process of fixing an issue, the committer decides it really should be backported to 2.0.x that's still a possibility (or if someone else comes along and requests it).

But I get the feeling that those sticking to 2.0.x are "happy" - in that they've got things working the way they want and probably won't jump up to further 2.0.x releases, let along 2.2.x. If we put out a 2.0.11 release and say "this is the last, barring critical issues - start looking at 2.2", we'll fairly soon hear about it if that's not what users want.

At the same time, if we do start pushing fixes into 2.2.x, that gives more people incentive to try it, and help us identify if there are further barriers to moving across, in addition to continuing to build out more integration test cases that benefit us across the board.

- Brett