On Jul 2, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:

> Ralph,
> No, you are not discouraging me in anyway. This stage is just the first step
> of a much wider task. The ultimate goal of this work is to provide the
> ability to package maven-based builds to Gentoo system. Gentoo encourages
> and the package-management installs packages by first compiling them from
> source. So, as you can understand, if the package source uses maven as the
> build management tool, it needs maven to do the building and generate the
> jar.
>
> Further, there are other constraints involved. Mainly the packages should be
> able to use the existing jars available in the system (under /usr/share),
> and we've are not strict about having a specific version as a dep as long
> the existing system jar is api-compatible.

This makes me wonder if anyone you are working with has experience working with
Java applications. What you are doing sounds like it is ripe for problems. API
dependencies aren't the only things that change between versions. You might
have new configuration attributes added, additional dependencies, etc. Trying
to get a whole pile of Java-based applications to use the same versions of jars
is a problem in an application server, let alone across a whole operating
system.

Ralph