On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Jos Backus <j...@catnook.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
>> <sochotni...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Another thing I should have pointed out right away, but forgot is that
>>> alternative way would be to create rpms directly out of upstream maven
>>> release with bundled dependencies and all that. I know most people on
>>> this list would feel more comfortable with this approach and it is more
>>> simple way to achieve your goals right now. It shouldn't take more than
>>> a few minutes to create that spec file.
>>
>> I was really hoping for there to be a "Download RPMs" link to be
>> available on the Maven website, especially since there's a plugin that
>> makes it easy to create RPMs from Maven builds (assuming the main
>> Maven builds use Maven to build itself).
>
> I am -1 to this. Maven is very dubiously useful without connectivity
> to central. A 'self-contained' Maven build is only self-contained
> until you try to do something interesting with it. If you have
> connectivity, it's better to just stick with the pattern that the
> maven distro is minimal and downloads the rest of what it needs from
> central.

This is about providing the core Maven distribution as an RPM in
addition to a tarball, to make the bootstrapping of a Maven
installation easier. That seems orthogonal to the issue you raise
here.

As an aside, for integrity and repeatability reasons I'd like to have
some control over what Maven builds pull so a common pattern is to
mirror (the relevant parts of) 'central' (as you call it). Again, this
is unrelated to the issue of initial installation, for which I'd like
to use the OS-supplied packaging tools and not a tarball.

> However, my opinion notwithstanding, the only way something like this
> would happen is if someone offered up a patch with a complete,
> automated solution.

Thanks,
Jos

>> If it's easy, can someone make this happen, please?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jos
>> --
>> Jos Backus