On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Jos Backus wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>>> I think if some 3rd party wants to provide an RPM have at it. I don't think
>>> this is something we want to create or support.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Any reason why not, especially when it's easy to do so? It lowers the
>> bar for users to deploy Maven.
>
> You're assuming it's easy to do but as an overall supported aspect of the
> project nothing is easy. Maybe easy for you, but not for us :-) Generating an
> RPM is one thing, supporting it and have it undergo the construction that RPM
> proponents might require like building it offline and running it under our
> normal gamut of tests is probably not easy. You're making an assumption that
> it lowers the bar, but I would argue that's for a much smaller segment of the
> user base then you might think -- I believe Windows users still make up the
> largest segment. So as I've argued in the past the value to the project
> overall versus the work to actually support creating an RPM is up for
> discussion. I don't believe it's worth the effort.

Well, if installing Maven is really as easy as just unpacking a
tarball, creating an RPM should not be hard. I don't know Maven at all
but I would expect someone who does and who has some experience with
(say) RHEL/CentOS should have little trouble packaging it, especially
since I understand there's a plugin which aids in packaging build
artifacts as RPMs.

> I think the people that care about the RPM-based distributions already have
> RPMs you can use. If we make RPMs then I think we have to be fair and make
> other packages and that's not really our job and none of us are probably that
> interested or good at it or it would have been done already. Apparently none
> of us really care that much. I don't think you want us making these things. I
> think you want people who care and who are experts in those systems making
> the packages for those systems. If someone in the Fedora project is making a
> Maven RPM I think you can expect a higher level of quality there then you're
> going to get from us.

I understand. Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

Jos

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com