On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Jos Backus <j...@catnook.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>> I think if some 3rd party wants to provide an RPM have at it. I don't think
>> this is something we want to create or support.
> [snip]
>
> Any reason why not, especially when it's easy to do so? It lowers the
> bar for users to deploy Maven.

1) Easy is always in the eye of the proposer. If you want to supply a
patch to the build of maven that builds an RPM that you think is
useful, it might well get committed. Whether the results of running it
end up on dist would be the output of more discussion.

2) I find it hard to take seriously the proposition that 'download,
untar, run' is a high enough bar to fit anything interesting under it.