On 19 March 2012 21:20, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Jos Backus <j...@catnook.com> wrote:

>>> You're assuming it's easy to do but as an overall supported aspect of the
>>> project nothing is easy. Maybe easy for you, but not for us :-) Generating
>>> an RPM is one thing, supporting it and have it undergo the construction
>>> that RPM proponents might require like building it offline and running it
>>> under our normal gamut of tests is probably not easy. You're making an
>>> assumption that it lowers the bar, but I would argue that's for a much
>>> smaller segment of the user base then you might think -- I believe Windows
>>> users still make up the largest segment. So as I've argued in the past the
>>> value to the project overall versus the work to actually support creating
>>> an RPM is up for discussion. I don't believe it's worth the effort.
>>
>> Well, if installing Maven is really as easy as just unpacking a
>> tarball, creating an RPM should not be hard.
>
> The java dependency is an issue.  And then ... every RPM of a Java
> package I've ever seen has felt the need to take the self-contained
> hierarchy of the normal distro and move things to other places. Config
> to /etc, logs to /var/log, &cetra. So, right, one of us could probably
> come up with a trivial RPM, which would be trivially rejected by all
> of the distro packages.
>
> I could also mention the question of equal rights for debian users,
> and don't even get me started on Gentoo.

Please.... not Gentoo.... the crazy sh1t they do is just plain insane
when it comes to Maven...

The key thing you need to understand is that any piece of software
released by Apache has to have at least 3 x +1 votes from the
project's PMC committee...

I cannot speak for the other PMCs, I can only speak for my self, but I
only vote +1 on things I have actually tested myself... most of the
time I try to rebuild the artifact from the source bundle, as that is
another thing that the PMC is supposed to verify, and I try to look
out for the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files too...

I am not going to be in a position to add testing an RPM build into
that mix (being not on an RPM based OS... OK I could spin up a VM, but
that is not going to happen with the bandwidth I currently have),
certainly not going to be able to test the RPM in a reasonable
cross-section of the OSes that would give me a confident +1.... and
MSI support I have no time to test, let alone set up the toolchain to
support generating the MSI... then I'd need the DEB toolchain and test
VMs....

I am not going to veto, but I am

-0.9

on adding RPMs into the Maven build, i.e. I have no intention of being
in a position to vote +1 on a RPM binary being released by Maven

-Stephen