Hi Manfred,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Manfred Moser <manf...@mosabuam.com> wrote:
> Jos,
>
> I agree with you in the sense that any open source project that cares about
> a wide user base should try to provide packages of its software that are
> useful to as many people as possible.

Thanks.

> Therefore e.g. the Jenkins effort to offer all sorts of installs is laudible
> imho.

Yes. It increases adoption by lowering the threshold to install/manage
the software.

> However for Maven this is clearly not going to happen from the current team.
> There is just too much bad experience with old Maven packages supplied by
> various parties.

That's too bad, really, as it will cause people like me to reinvent
the wheel. But I understand the perspective and it's not my place to
tell people how to spend their time.

> At this stage I would suggest to make the package yourself the way you want
> and host it on your own yum repo. Then you can do what you want and provide
> it to other people as well.

Indeed.

> You could try to push it to rpm repositories outside Fedora/Red Hat in case
> any one is interested but it all depends on the effort you want to spend.
> Most people want to be sure they have an Apache quality package and that is
> only availalble in tar gz or zip with the well known disadvantages..

Yes, that's why it's desirable that the software producer produces the packages.

> In fact imho the slow uptake of new versions e.g. Maven 3 vs Maven 2 is in
> part due to the fact that no binaries for the various OS are available that
> would get automatically updates as part of regular updates..

Yes, I think so, too. Not providing packages hampers adoption of newer
versions because people will stick with the old versions that tends to
ship with their distro if there's no easy way to upgrade. That is why
I would think that the Maven folks would be interested in this, but it
sounds like it's not a priority.

Thanks for your response, Manfred, and for everyone else's input in this thread.

Jos

> manfred
>

> On 12-03-19 02:57 PM, Jos Backus wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Benson Margulies<bimargul...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> The java dependency is an issue.
>>
>> I would just leave it out of the package altogether.
>>
>>> And then ... every RPM of a Java
>>> package I've ever seen has felt the need to take the self-contained
>>> hierarchy of the normal distro and move things to other places. Config
>>> to /etc, logs to /var/log,&cetra. So, right, one of us could probably
>>>
>>> come up with a trivial RPM, which would be trivially rejected by all
>>> of the distro packages.
>>
>> Who cares if they reject it, if they are not offering anything better.
>>
>>> I could also mention the question of equal rights for debian users,
>>> and don't even get me started on Gentoo.
>>
>> Well, what scales better: packagers associated with a single distro
>> trying to package thousands of packages, or packagers associated with
>> a single package packaging that package for a few (major) distros?
>>
>> Jos

Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com