If we applied the same logic back in 2004, we would still be on CVS. Personally, I think Git affords us a lot of opportunity to streamline the contribution process and a much cleaner way of working (patching, rebasing, local branches, etc.)

I've switched to Git for all of the rest of what I do, and I have to say that even with the tooling still just maturing even now, Git is far-and-away easier to use. I spend a lot less time juggling working directories, generating patches just to back out something I'm working on at the moment to switch gears for a bugfix, and accepting contributions from anyone is straightforward (especially compared to SVN).

I think the world is well beyond simply jumping on the bandwagon with Git; it works well and enables new forms of interaction with the community. We're actually trailing the field by waiting until now to move. I think it's probably prudent, given the size of Maven (and ASF more generally), but we're definitely not riding the cutting edge here.