OMG, had a similar experience only recently.

We should incorporate a module which got created by another company. We
requested to get the source and so we got access to their SVN repo.
The first thing I saw was 35 directories with almost identical sources. And no,
that was not managed as SVN branches (svn copy) but they did 'branches' by
doing a recursive copy of their sources on the file system (cp -r into a new
directory with incremental numbers) and then checked that in as fresh sources
with svn add.

What should I say...

Anyway, that is heavily offtopic already and I assume that we don't have any
devs of that kind around actively working on maven ;)

LieGrue,
strub