The hosting bit is defined in context of apache, there is not much we
need to do in that respect. This dusussion has been on/off for quite a
few years, so I'm not entirely surprised if you haven't seen it all.

As for "fad", I'm old enough to believe that version control systems
have their "epochs". No-one is using cvs anymore. This seems to be the
decade of git; I'm sure something new & shiney will pop up in a few
years time.

Kristian