github pull requests can be accepted even though we are ASF hosted, in
fact github will automatically close the corresponding
pull request as the commit is pushed back through the git mirroring
from asf->github.com/apache. I think github is extremely
important, but they have also managed to be smart enough to make
themselves unimportant.

If I understand this correctly we maintain a written record of all
pull requests by echoing their full content
to some mailing list, so effectively we do not need patches attached
to jira. Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong on
this.

Personally I think the git/github/asf combo is mindbendingly more
flexible and open for submissions than svn ever will be; using git-svn
and github can get you close but it's a dirty workflow sometimes and
it's really mostly sustainable for people with strong git skills.

Kristian