Le 7/16/13 6:48 PM, sebb a écrit :

>>> What is not clear? Please raise that with Infra.
>> You are wondering ??? ;-) In how many projects are you trying to get
>> those files corrected ? I can't imagine I'm the only one not being able
>> to decipher the pretty convoluted semi-legal text on this page.
> I find that page quite clear, apart from the link to /legal, which is
> very unhelpful.

Being a english native speaker, you may find it pretty well written. I'm
not, and I find that some of the sentences quite convoluted.

I have already stated that instead of producing a bunch of verbose
explainations and nothing else, the addition of samples could help.

It's pretty much like if you were to read the API specification with no
sample at all...

>> Legal texts are fine assuming you don't have to read them, and as soon
>> as you have a lawyer reading above your shoulder and correcting you
>> immediately when you do something wrong (kind of what you are doing
>> here, and you must be blessed for taking care of those details !). We
>> are dumb developpers, quite good at finding bugs, coding large software,
>> but not very good when it comes to contracts...
> That page is not intended as a legal text.

It loooks like so to me. It's just a feeling, but it's shared by many
people.

>> What do I find "not clear" ? Unless I read every single line ten times,
>> I'm ot able to decide what to do or what not to do. What is a
>> "dependency" ? This is a contextful terfm, which meeans something in a
>> Maven context and something else in another context.
> I don't see any distinction there.
> A dependency is something the code depends on.

Now you are specifically describing what is a dependency. But this is
not even close to what a dependency is : is an image a dependency,
assuming the code does not depend on it ?

What I want to stress out is that the terms are vague, and swamped into
a long list of sentences that does not help to clarify the intention of
those who wrote those pages (not to mention the misleading links to
other pages)

> In a Maven context it will be a jar, in a C-project it might be a DLL, etc.

That's better. Having such a sentence in this page would have helped.

I have read the page many times in the past years, and I have been
released at least 3 different projects (MINA, ApacheDS and Ldap API) for
many years. I have trie dmy best to understand what were the
requirement, and so far, I must say that I have miserabily failed.

Blame me, but then I'm not the only one to blame. Julien has also spent
many times trying to get the N&L files correct, and it seems he is as
lame as I am. I know other people from other projects having the exact
same problem (I have mentored the Shiro and Syncope projects, and they
faced the same problem too : they are probably retarded...)

*or* the existing documention is simply sub-optimal...

>> I can go on and on, but frankly, I have no time nor energy to fight with
>> infra about the content of this file. I consider that it's a task that
>> should be fulfiled by legal@a.o, and we probably need a working group to
>> add some samples helping people like me to know what to do.
> But unless you explain what you find difficult to understand, how can
> anyone hope to fix it?

true. Here, I'm just rambling, I know. May be when I will be done with
my three current projects' bugs, after I have moved from my old house to
the new one, once I have managed the trial I'm engaged in with my
father's associate, and various other hazards I have to deal with this
month and the next one, then yes, I will push a mail to legal.

>>> Transitive dependencies are no different from other dependencies - are
>>> the bits actually included?
>> No, because I have no idea what dependency are transitively included.
> You may not know what the transitive dependencies are, but I would
> hope you know what is actually in the binary archive.

I know that I embed slf4j. I know that slf4j embeds at least 3 other
jars itself. This is all I know...

I'm expecting Slf4j to fulfill their duty regarding the inclusion of the
needed NOTICE and LICENSE, and that it reflects in their own LICENCE and
NOTICE file.

> Again, only the bits that are actually included in the archives matter
> for the purpose of the N&L files.
> If a file is needed at run-time or test-time - or even compile time -
> if it is not included in the bundle then it has no business being
> mentioned in the N&L files.
>
> If a file is included, it must be covered by the N&L files
> If it is not included, the N&L files should not mention it.

This has nothing to do with transitive dependencies.

>> This is again an extremely time consumming task, and I can't believe
>> that it has not already been done on one of the 100 projects at the ASF,
>> and gathered in a common place...
> Sorry, what is time consuming?
Searching for every transitive dependencies for dependencies we include
into our packages.

> The N&L files only depend on what is in the archives.
> It's just a question of checking that everything that is included in
> the bundles is covered in the N&L files.
> The contents should be obvious from the assembly files; if not, just
> build the bundles and see what they contain.
Sorry, but I don't see what's your point is here... Why should I build a
bundle for a dependency I'm downloading from maven ?