On 16 July 2013 18:34, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> many years. I have trie dmy best to understand what were the
> requirement, and so far, I must say that I have miserabily failed.
>
> Blame me, but then I'm not the only one to blame. Julien has also spent
> many times trying to get the N&L files correct, and it seems he is as
> lame as I am. I know other people from other projects having the exact
> same problem (I have mentored the Shiro and Syncope projects, and they
> faced the same problem too : they are probably retarded...)
>
> *or* the existing documention is simply sub-optimal...
>

>>> I can go on and on, but frankly, I have no time nor energy to fight with
>>> infra about the content of this file. I consider that it's a task that
>>> should be fulfiled by legal@a.o, and we probably need a working group to
>>> add some samples helping people like me to know what to do.
>> But unless you explain what you find difficult to understand, how can
>> anyone hope to fix it?
>
> true. Here, I'm just rambling, I know. May be when I will be done with
> my three current projects' bugs, after I have moved from my old house to
> the new one, once I have managed the trial I'm engaged in with my
> father's associate, and various other hazards I have to deal with this
> month and the next one, then yes, I will push a mail to legal.

>>> No, because I have no idea what dependency are transitively included.
>> You may not know what the transitive dependencies are, but I would
>> hope you know what is actually in the binary archive.
>
> I know that I embed slf4j. I know that slf4j embeds at least 3 other
> jars itself. This is all I know...
>
> I'm expecting Slf4j to fulfill their duty regarding the inclusion of the
> needed NOTICE and LICENSE, and that it reflects in their own LICENCE and
> NOTICE file.
>

>> Again, only the bits that are actually included in the archives matter
>> for the purpose of the N&L files.
>> If a file is needed at run-time or test-time - or even compile time -
>> if it is not included in the bundle then it has no business being
>> mentioned in the N&L files.
>>
>> If a file is included, it must be covered by the N&L files
>> If it is not included, the N&L files should not mention it.
>
> This has nothing to do with transitive dependencies.
>

>>> This is again an extremely time consumming task, and I can't believe
>>> that it has not already been done on one of the 100 projects at the ASF,
>>> and gathered in a common place...
>> Sorry, what is time consuming?
> Searching for every transitive dependencies for dependencies we include
> into our packages.
>

>> The N&L files only depend on what is in the archives.
>> It's just a question of checking that everything that is included in
>> the bundles is covered in the N&L files.
>> The contents should be obvious from the assembly files; if not, just
>> build the bundles and see what they contain.
> Sorry, but I don't see what's your point is here... Why should I build a
> bundle for a dependency I'm downloading from maven ?

I don't know how many different ways I can say this:
The N&L files need to agree with whatever the PMC releases or
distributes - i.e. the source and binary archives, and the Maven jars.
The SCM (SVN/Git) counts as a distribution since it is generally
published to all (it's not reserved to developers) so it's important
that users see the N&L files at the published URL(s)

So the N&L files in SVN/Git must relate to the files in the SCM tree;
almost always the source bundle is created from SCM so the same N&L
files will be suitable for the source bundle as well.

The binary bundle normally consists of the compiled source, maybe plus
Javadoc, maybe with some example sources.
All that is derived from the SCM source so the same N&L applies.

However, some projects include other items that are needed at run-time
- e.g. jars or DLLs.
The N&L must be updated to take account of any of these items that are
actually included in the binary archive.
If they are other Apache products, probably nothing needs to be added to N&L
If they are external products - e.g. JUnit - then their LICENSE must
be included and if necessary the NOTICE must be updated.

Is that clear now?