On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 3:01 AM Leonard Lausen <leon...@lausen.nl> wrote:

> Anton Chernov <mecher...@gmail.com> writes:
> > As a physicist I would like to point out that "Gluon" means: An
> elementary
> > particle that acts as the exchange particle for the strong force between
> > quarks [1].
> > As a general scientific term it can barely be seen as a candidate for
> > trademark registration.
>
> This doesn't seem to pose a barrier for trademark registration though.

Agreed. Part of the reason for that (in my layman opinion) is that it's not
"Apache MXNet" or "Gluon", it's "Apache MXNet deep learning library". Which
is something that should be improved on our website by the way.

It's weird for how folk typically think about it in software, but
trademarks are adjectives and not nouns. Heinz Tomato Soup tells you that
this is Tomato Soup (yawn) of Heinz quality (yay!). "Ford Focus [quality]
automobile", not "Ford Focus".

If you think of it like a programming language's type system; science uses
Gluon as a noun, which does not clash with it being used as an adjective
elsewhere.

If any of that makes sense :)

Hen