Why?

I think our wrapper can do pretty much the same than slf4j does. Having a
public static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(MyClass.class)
can easily be supported by our logging framework.

Then, any known logging framework has the most possible information available,
whatever it does with it.

If a logging framework use a static position of the stack trace, to gather its
information, is bound to fail anyway and has to be considered a bad
implementation, no?

AFAIK, in terms of cl class loader issues, having a static log ist not bad if
the logging facade has been loaded with the same class-loader than the library
were loaded. Which should always be the case with our own wrapper.

Yes, I know, we end up having a slf4j within myfaces. But I see no point having
a dependency to such a simple API - which exactly adds no value, but forces
every cl user to setup the sfl4j-over-cl bridge.

IMHO, the java way to do it is to provide our own simple logging wrapper, by
using jul as default impl. I know that jul sucks, but this then can easily be
customized by the developer.

Mojarra also uses jul, no? So good or bad, this i something we have to deal
with anyway - providing a pluggable logging api is fair enough then. I think,
most of the time the user will not care and just start using jul.

Too bad that SUN did not manage to provide a logging api which has been widely
accepted :-(

Ciao,
Mario