Hello,

in Trinidad we don't cast to String:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/trinidad/trunk/trinidad-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/trinidadinternal/renderkit/core/xhtml/EditableValueRenderer.java?view=annotate

(see line 133->135)

This is because of supporting the "oracle adf numbers", like:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12839_01/apirefs.1111/e10655/index.html?oracle/jbo/domain/Number.html

The fix is simple: call toString() instead of doing the cast.

However, I think your patch misses the case of tolerating NULL (new w/ jsf2)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf